Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I licked my spoon in delight.


Saturday, ate a banana split with the sun pressing up to the window. Cream on top of ice cream, a few fat fruits, ground pistachio like moss, a banana like a longship, Viking vessel of exploration, oak tree hewn in half to tell the time since life began, in concentric circles. Frothy like the birth of Venus, bottomless like a heartbreak, waitress with a lisp like an old room mate, the fair rumble of traffic grounding me. The spoon, Greta Garbo, throws a haughty shadow across the glass, prisiming, dives, Esther Williams, solo synchronized swimming in an innocent soup of honey, Shirley Temple. I licked my spoon in delight as I realized that I hadn't been this happy since we smoked our brains out in your room, and coloured in pictures of dinosaurs on your bed all afternoon, with just the cat for company.

2 comments:

thejakeman said...

Ah, this is fantastic. I love your writing the more I read it.

thejakeman said...

Or rather, the more I read your writing, the more I love it.